We’re on a mission to change the future of education. Our dream is to build learning experiences that enable students to excel in the future—not just keep up with the present. We focus on dreaming big, embracing constant change and evolution, and fostering a strong community built on authentic connections.
Your role as part of the iX team:
We are looking for a mission-driven senior developer to scale out our education systems. Currently, we maintain a website, application, and enrollment platform that receives hundreds of thousands of visits per year and processes tens of millions of rands in revenue. We want to grow that 10x (at least) in the next few years and need a hungry developer to build the team to support that growth.
Tech doesn’t just mean software. The iX Senior Developer will be passionate about excellent product design, a user-friendly experience, data transparency, and access, and most importantly, being a strong internal cultural voice for the power of technology within the organization. The ideal candidate will start by getting to know and coding in our massive codebase, and build out new products as our organization grows.
Most of all, your responsibility will be to wow the world. We believe that today, not taking risks is riskier than taking risks. That is, if we're not remarkable and relentless in the pursuit of the bold, we will become irrelevant. "Very good" is not good enough. You should be excited by data-driven experimentation and making huge, calculated bets.
On the job, you will:
- Develop new products and features and maintain existing ones across all iX systems.
- Manage and oversee a consistent agile development process with a strong velocity to keep up with new product development needs.
- Keep our codebase at a high test coverage rate and near-perfect uptime.
Technologies we use:
- DevOps: Circle CI, Git, Github, New Relic.
- Utilities: HubSpot & BigQuery.
- Business tools: Google apps, Trello, Workplace, and Slack.
- 3+ years of Ruby on Rails experience.
- 1+ years of systems administration experience, including managing servers on a platform such as Heroku.
- Fluency with data and databases. Easily write SQL and work with complex spreadsheets.
- Fluency in HTML, SCSS.
- Expert in a modern Git workflow, with issues, pull requests, CI, and code review.
You'll stand out if you:
- Have a design, product management, or data background.
- Have a strong passion for education and/or teaching.
- Love contributing to non-tech areas of the business, such as new product development and design, UX, or analytics.
- Hybrid work model, with one office day per week.
- Flexible working hours - goal-orientated work.
- Culture of continual learning and personal growth.
- Bi-weekly free team outings to foster connection.
- Monthly company-wide full-day bonding events.
Our Hiring Process:
- Screening Call:
- This is a 30-minute call with the Co-founder and Chief Product Officer (CPO), Rafi:
- 15 minutes: The candidate will do a technical challenge.
- 15 minutes: The candidate and Rafi will walk through any questions that the candidate may have and discuss the totality of the Senior Developer role.
- Stage 1:
- In preparation, the candidate is given a technical challenge to complete (this will take approximately 1-hour to complete).
- A 1-hour live technical interview with the CPO to talk through the candidate's approach to the challenge.
- Stage 2:
- Super Day: The candidate spends 4-hours in the office with the CPO and the leadership team.
- Stage 3:
- This stage is contingent on the previous interviews - this might be an additional technical screening or an interview.